Friday, November 19, 2004

I'm A Square.


I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
I came to this realization after attending last night's brilliant Wilco show at the Wiltern. First reason I'm a G.O.M.: I hated everyone I was around. A lot. (Except for Tim. I guess.) I heard three different sets of people discussing how much Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and a ghost is born suck and why can't Wilco go back to their roots and (no joke) make records that are more like Coldplay. It almost sent me into Barry Egan-ville.
The second reason: the general admission thing got to me. Maybe 'cause it was a Thursday and I had worked all day, but by "Jesus, Etc.," I was going out of my mind from some weird combo of the heat and claustrophobia (we were waaaaay in the front of the crowd) and my own insanity. For the first time ever, I had to bail and chill out in the back with the Hollywood trash.
Anyway, the show was fantastic. Live, the ghost songs really open up and Tweedy looked like he was having a blast. The addition of guitarist Nels Cline was a masterstroke. The guy is a crazy virtuoso and added all sorts of crazy shadings and solos and effects to the songs. Highlight of the show: the insane avant-rock-workout "Spiders (Kidsmoke)."

The setlist:
1. Muzzle Of Bees   
2. Hummingbird   
3. Hell Is Chrome   
4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart   
5. Company In My Back   
6. Handshake Drugs   
7. A Shot In The Arm   
8. Via Chicago   
9. Jesus, Etc.   
10. At Least That's What You Said   
11. Theologians   
12. I'm The Man Who Loves You   
13. Poor Places   
14. Reservations   
15. Spiders (Kidsmoke)   
Encore 1:
16. Ashes Of American Flags   
17. War On War   
18. Kingpin   
19. The Late Greats   
20. I'm A Wheel   
Encore 2:
21. Another Man's Done Gone   
22. California Stars   
23. Be Not So Fearful   

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Jessica L. Jordan said...

Yeah, after having to give up our tickets I became grateful of not having to attend. I hate people. Grumpy Old Woman RIGHT HERE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home