Monday, January 03, 2005

Why I ♥ Armond White.

Here is Armond White's list of the worst films of 2004. On such a list one might expect, oh, National Treasure or Alexander. Not Mr. White. Oh no. His list includes Closer (a "grotesque fantasy"), The Aviator (it "makes a mockery of Hollywood while glamorizing capitalist excess"), Maria Full of Grace ("This pseudo-Third World indie is actually full of crap"), and Dogville ("Lars Von Trier's anti-Americanism is only superficially political. He's really anti-art, and this travesty of Our Town is no more than a hoax, a hipster's way of denying emotion in art.") Don't get me wrong, I love most of the above-mentioned titles. (Most. Sorry Dogville.) But I totally ♥ Armond for his rabid insanity.

I can't wait to see what Mr. White has in store for the Slate Movie Club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home