Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Cremy delights.



I had my first experience with the Cremaster Cycle last night.
Netflix exceeded all expectations and delivered my first batch of movies a day early. Huzzah to them.
The first movie in was "The Order," a 30 minute excerpt from the three hour epic Cremaster 3. For those unaware, visual artist Matthew Barney (aka Bjork's baby daddy) created a five film cycle (out of order) over eight years. The films (from what I hear) are all lavishly produced, art directed and almost entirely non-narrative.
"The Order" is 30 minutes of Matthew Barney running through the NY Guggenheim, encountering different art installations and/or representations of the female psyche and/or models missing limbs and/or the punk band Agnostic Front.
Did I mention I worshipped every bizarre second?
Now I need to find a place that is screening the full films, 'cause this shit is brilliant.
All you Netflixers add this one to your queue.
Oh and here's a pic of Matthew Barney from "The Order":

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I don't deny that Mr. Barney is a shock artist. No doubt 'bout that. I just found the whole thing to be really funny and twisted and new. I'm not sure what my reaction would have been if I was sitting in a theater, sober, for three full hours.

As far as shlock douches go, why don't we just agree that Matthew Barney is the biggest shlock douche since Vincent Gallo.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Oh Pier relax. The Gallo bit was a joke that I threw in 'cause I knew it would piss you off. I'm looking forward to Brown Bunny. And as for the elite loving Barney... shrug. OK. Whatevs dot org. I'd bet that the same hipsters who buy Vinnie's Warp 7"s are prob the same people checking out Cremaster 4 at the New Bev.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home