Thursday, September 16, 2004

Film crit of the day.

Forget Morgan and his treatise on Igby Goes Down (which I like, thank you very much), gimme W.'s straight talk...

From Slate's "reader's guide" to Kitty Kelley's (dubious at best) tome The Family:

"Page 309: At Harvard Business School, which W. attends from 1973 to 1975, a professor screens The Grapes of Wrath. Bush asks him, 'Why are you going to show us that Commie movie?' W.'s take on the film: 'Look. People are poor because they are lazy.'"

I also like this story (but think it's a lie as my grandfather told me the exact same story about a student of his):

"Page 253: At Andover, George W. Bush writes a morose essay about his sister's death. Searching for a synonym for 'tears,' he consults a thesaurus and writes, 'And the lacerates ran down my cheeks.' A teacher labels the paper 'disgraceful.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home