Monday, November 22, 2004

Saluting the USSA.

Don't worry, Liddy no longer loves Addy (From a profile with Johann Hari, linked by Sully):
The Fuhrer was G Gordon Liddy's first political hero. Liddy was a sickly, asthmatic child when he grew up in Hoboken, New Jersey, in the 1930s. The town was full of ethnic Germans who idolized Hitler. Liddy was made to salute the Stars and Stripes Nazi-style by the nuns at his school; even now, he admits, 'at assemblies where the national anthem is played, I must suppress the urge to snap out my right arm.' His beloved German nanny taught him that Hitler had - through sheer will-power - 'dragged Germany from weakness to strength.'

This gave Liddy hope 'for the first time in my life' that he too could overcome weakness. When he listened to Hitler on the radio, it 'made me feel a strength inside I had never known before,' he explains. 'Hitler's sheer animal confidence and power of will [entranced me]. He sent an electric current through my body.' He describes seeing the Nazis' doomed technological marvel the Hindenberg flying over New Jersey as an almost religious experience. 'Ecstatic, I drank in its colossal power and felt myself grow. Fear evaporated and in its place came a sense of personal might and power.'

Things are becoming clearer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home