Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Briefly.

Things I'd like to discuss but can't (due to time constraints [i.e., The Dumb Job That I Am Leaving]):

  • Tarnation: How it supremely kicked my ass and might just be the best film of 2004 and you should all rush out and see it. (Oh and how I wish there'd been better fonts in the intertitles, but that's neither here nor there.)

  • Primer: How it's one of the most pleasantly obtuse and incomprehensible movies I've seen in ages and how everyone should shoot on Super16. Oh and it's crazy smart and you should all rush out and see it.

  • Billy Corgan's new single: Strike one: It's called "Mina Loy (M.O.H.)" Strike two: it's really a really bland piece of electrorock.

  • Nikka Costa and her single "Till I Get to You": Why do I like this song so much? And is she genuine or a white girl version of Lenny Kravitz? So confusing.

  • How the newly revamped Moistworks is supremely coups de pied de mon âne with posts like this.

  • And finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't provide you with today's ArmondismTM: "Any reviewer who pans [Brian DePalma's Mission to Mars] does not understand movies, let alone like them." (I can't find the full reivew online, but it's quoted in this interview.)

2 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

As crazy as Armond seems, I thought his review of Sin City was spot-on.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Ben said...

That's the thing with Armond-- he's so radical in his approach, so wildly combative, that I think he gets dismissed as a loon. (Hell, I post these Armondisms becuase they seem so off the wall.) But the fact is, the dude is just insanely well-read and articulate and compelling. Even though there's this (to my mind) irrational DePalma love and fits of wild hyperbole (Dr. Dre's "Nothin' But a G-Thing" video is fine, but certainly not "one of the greatest directorial debuts in the history of film"), the man's writing is commanding and never less than thought provoking.
(Oh and I can't recommend Armond's collection of pop crit from '85-'95,The Resistance, enough. I got it used for less than five bucks and it just slays.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home