Monday, September 12, 2005

Great.

I'm not sure why, but every time a critic or a friend assures me that the latest Woody Allen film is a "return to form," I believe them. This is always a mistake. After the interminably tedious/unfunny Melinda & Melinda, I swore that I would never fall for this ruse again.

So what do I do about this?

"Woody Allen has made some 36 movies; the best are Annie Hall (1976), Hannah and Her Sisters (1987), Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) and Match Point, which premiered at Cannes 2005."

That's Mr. Ebert in a new "Great Movie" essay on Crimes and Misdemeanors. Ebs, you're making this very difficult for me.

2 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben--
actually, to confess, i have found the last few wood-films totally unwatchable as well.
the last one i kinda liked was "deconstructing harry".
the last great one was "husbands and wives", from '92.
but i'm really looking forward to "match point"--i've read so may great things about it.
little fest update: the new cronenberg is mind-blowing. it is both his most "mainstream" film and, also, totally not, if that makes any sense. you'll just have to see it.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Ben said...

I can not wait for the Cronenberg. It's been high on my must-see list since all the Cannes hype. Looking fwd to more Toronto buzz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home