Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Nerd crack.

May I make an investment suggestion? If you've got 60 bucks to spare, head over to Amazon and snag the The Complete New Yorker while it's on sale. You'll have every single issue from 1925 to Feb. 14, 2005--4,109 of them--spread over eight DVDs. I don't own the thing yet (mine's in the mail), but I took a test drive over the weekend. In a matter of minutes, I'd printed uncollected short stories from J.D. Salinger, Donna Tartt, and Jhumpa Lahiri; a Salman Rushdie essay comparing Crash (the Ballard novel/Cronenberg film) to the death of Princess Diana; an on-the-set report of Wes Anderson making The Royal Tenenbaums; a casually anti-Semitic profile of Cecil B. DeMille from 1929; and Pauline Kael's notorious (and impossible to find) review of Shoah*. I know I sound like a shameless shill for the magazine, but I'm just trying to hip you to some of the finest nerd crack out there. (And if you know of any old-timey New Yorker pieces that I shouldn't miss, by all means leave me suggestions in the comments.)

* It's notorious because Kael is, shall we say, flippant. She refers to the nine hour Holocaust documentary as "a long moan."

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger girish said...

ben, i'm definitely getting the dvd set, despite stuff like this. (jump to second review on the page.) $60 is a great deal on these, the bugs notwithstanding.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger girish said...

oops, try again.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I saw some of those reviews and was kind of concerned, but I didn't run into any glitches during the half hour I had with the program. I'm sure there are problems-- but it seems worth a few bugs for the $60 price.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home