Friday, June 18, 2004

At least he admits it.

Ebert:
"The pitfall for Moore is not subjectivity, but accuracy. We expect him to hold an opinion and argue it, but we also require his facts to be correct. I was an admirer of his previous doc, the Oscar-winning 'Bowling for Columbine,' until I discovered that some of his 'facts' were wrong, false or fudged.

In some cases, he was guilty of making a good story better, but in other cases (such as his ambush of Charlton Heston) he was unfair, and in still others (such as the wording on the plaque under the bomber at the Air Force Academy) he was just plain wrong, as anyone can see by going to look at the plaque.

Because I agree with Moore's politics, his inaccuracies pained me, and I wrote about them in my Answer Man column. Moore wrote me that he didn't expect such attacks 'from you, of all people.' But I cannot ignore flaws simply because I agree with the filmmaker. In hurting his cause, he wounds mine."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home