Friday, August 27, 2004

Mikis clears it up.

Mikis Theodorakis is such a lovable old anti-semite.
Last year the beloved composer of Zorba The Greek proclaimed that Jews were the root of all evil. Now he's stepped forward to clear things up.
He says: "[I]t's important for me to emphasize that I never said that the Jews are the root of evil. I said they are at the root of evil."
See? Don't you feel bad for calling Miki a Jew-hater? And ya gotta love the humility in this line:

"No [I have no regrets for making the aforementioned statement]. And I was very much hurt by the Jewish reaction to what I said. It was not a civilized reaction. I got hundreds and hundreds of poisonous e-mails from Jews all over the world. I couldn't understand this hatred toward me. I fought against racism all my life. I was for Israel. I wrote "Mauthausen." After all that, how could I become from one day to the next an anti-Semite?"

The poor, misunderstood guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home