Thursday, August 19, 2004

She got served.

A couple issues back, The New Yorker's Louis Menand put Lynne Truss' arse in a sling. This is a great thing. For those who don't know, Ms. Truss wrote this mega-annoying book on grammar called Eats, Shoots & Leaves.
Being that I am a grammar retard (obviously), I bought into the hype, got the book, made it to page 25 or so, and then I gave up. The book is filled with this woman's annoying, unfunny schtick and, worst of all, I kept spotting little grammatical errors. I am allowed to make grammatical errors as I am a self-professed mongoloid. Lynne Truss, self-professed grammar stickler, is not.
My point? Go read Mr. Menand's evisceration. You'll be glad you did.

SIDE NOTE: Do you guys remember that annoying one-hit wonder from the mid-'90s that was all grammar-centric? It's the one that went: "I love you period / Do you love me question mark / Please please exclamaition point / I want to hold you in parentheses." Right? Remember that? That's all.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Thanks for the warning. I let my New Yorker subscription run out this summer, but I'll take your word for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home