Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Douchebag of the day award.


It's probably too early to be giving out this award, but the following bit of "film crit" prompted it. (Oh and I use the term "film crit" loosely when when dealing with Rex Reed.) I didn't read the whole piece (I haven't seen Huckabees so I don't want it ruined), but this passage gives you an idea about Rex Reed's brilliance:

And so I ♥ Huckabees may not be the worst movie ever made, depending on how you feel about such hollow, juvenile and superficial trash as Brewster McCloud, Hudson Hawk, Punch-Drunk Love, Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost Highway, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Rob Zombie’s House of 1000 Corpses and … well, as they said in Hollywood during the McCarthy witch hunts, "the list goes on."

The egomaniacal young director-producer-writer David O. Russell is a member of the new group of anarchists that includes Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Jonze, freaky Todd Solondz and the dismally overrated non-writer Charlie Kaufman, who wins critical praise for writing incoherent movies about why he can’t write coherent movies. (Some critics also include Alexander Payne, which is a true insult; in my opinion, he can do one thing none of these other jerks knows how to do—make narrative movies about real people that tell profound stories for a broader and more sophisticated audience. He is miles ahead of the others, and movies like Election, About Schmidt and his forthcoming masterpiece Sideways prove it.)


What can you say to that? He compared Tenenbaums and Mullholland and Punch-Drunk to Hudson Hawk and House of 1000 Corpses... Whatevs dot org to that.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Well, I must say that I wasn't that outraged over the Hudson diss. While I'm sure it's not the worst film ever (as people often claim), I reserve my hatred/anger for the way this douche pukes on genuine works of art. Mullholland and Tenenbaums are two of the greatest pieces of American filmmaking in the past decade... fuck it, in the past two decades. (And, I would argue, P.T. and Spike and Kaufman have also contributed to some of the best filmmaking of that time frame.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home