Friday, October 15, 2004

Sacred cow.

As he is seemingly loved by 99.9% of everyone I have ever known, I never bring up the fact that I despise Jon Stewart and The Daily Show (In a nutshell: he's not smart and/or funny enough to justify the amount of smugness radiating from him). And I probably would've remained silent and let everyone continue to give Jon the endless blow job that he's been enjoying for the past four-or-whatever years.
But then he went on CNN's Crossfire and gave them a lecture on journalism and how they're "hurting American" by being "partisan hacks." You know what? He's right: Begala and Carlson are shameless hacks in the worst way. No argument there.
What drives me insane is this new sanctimonious routine that Stewart's been pulling. He does the fake news, he's not a journalist. (Seriously, I really despise the argument "Oh, Jon Stweart is doing such good by getting the news to a group of people who wouldn't otherwise get it." Bullshit. Pick up a paper, read one online, TDS is not the news.) And on top of it, he's given access to a number of politicians and policy makers that he routinely treats with kid gloves. If he's so fucking concerned about the state of the press, he should quit The Daily Show and join 60 Minuites (they're owned by the same evil corporate entity, why not?) or, hey this is an idea, he could start asking the tough questions on his show.
Sorry. I had to get that off my chest. I probably just alienated all four of my regular readers... but I had to do that.

UPDATE: OK, so I was in a blind "it's the end of Friday and I need to leave work and get food and start the weekend" rage when I wrote that. I don't take back what I said, but I would like to articulate a little more. Yes, I am thrilled that someone called out Crossfire on being the urinal of political talk shows. I just hate that it was Jon Stewart because: 1) He's part of the problem (as in: softballing and pandering to his powerful guests) and 2) it was in such a pathetic way. Great, you called Tucker a dick. That's awesome and I'm sure it'll rally the fanbase. But how about calling Tuck and Begala out on specific issues. In addition, I'd like to point out that Stewart has been making the media rounds lately, why didn't he lash out at Fox News? Wouldn't it have been way more effective to scream at O'Reilly? True, he probably would have had his mic cut. So what about when O'Reilly showed up on Stewart's turf a week later? There, O'Reilly proclaimed himself an undecided voter and an independent. Does anyone believe that he's anything but a lapdog to the right? Stewart just nodded, acted slightly incredulous, and didn't challenge the statement. As a "social critic" and "satirist" doesn't Jon owe it to his audience to stick it to O'Reilly? (Especially when O'Reilly rarely leaves the controlled enviornment of his studio.)
OK, bleh, that's enough, I'm done... Off to revel in the weekend and whatnot.

5 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

You're as frigid and humorless as Joan Allen in an Ang Lee movie.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I will ignore that as it is coming from some who told me he doesn't like the filmic genre known as "comedy." (BTW, I'm totally Joan Allen in Stone's Nixon, biatch.)

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

But I do love me some Happy Gilmore. Anyhow, news parody (The Daily Show or "Weekend Update") is slightly different than, you know, Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

I'm really sorry Jon Stewart has whipped the two of you into a blind rage.

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

First of all, freakies, let's get a few things straight:

1. Crossfire is not a news program. It is a political talk show. So it doesn't matter if Begala is a journalist or not.

2. What is wrong with you people? Tucker Carlson fucking rocks. He's a far more independent conservative than you're likely to hear anywhere else on TV. He's smart, charming and knows how to do his job. What's to diss?

3. Paul Begala is totally annoying, and really ugly, however he was also part of one of the greatest political teams ever assembled in this nation. Sure he's no James Carville, but he knows what he's talking about, so why shouldn't people listen to him?

4. Jon Stewart is funny and he's also way hotter than anyone else involved in this conversation. Oh, he probably thinks a little too much of himself and the impact of his show, but he's still funny. Still, of the three protagonists in this story, he is the one that I'm totally okay with you mocking because I have no particular devotion or desire to defend him. Tucker and Begala are great at their job. Though neither of them are up to McLaughlin's standard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home