Thursday, September 15, 2005

E-mail of the day.

"I went to oprah's website and it was sort of hideous. Faulkner just doesn't seem suited to gatherings of multi-racial women laughing and wearing capri pants and drinking limeade, but what do I know? They have some professor guy on hand to answer difficult questions ("I can't help but think Anse may have had ulterior motives in taking his wife to Jefferson for burial .. . am I right?") and lots of bright graphics and great hints (Are you lost? Go back to the beginning of the chapter and see whose name appears on the first page) for understanding Mr. F. It's kind of awesome. I hope people enjoyed the books -- since they had to read frickin' three of them."

--The Sovereign Leader of the People's Republic of Fagistan on Oprah's online Book Club community. (For the record: I am all for the Oprah encouraging people to read crazy-dense works of art. The online community... Not so sure about that.)

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

Well this wasn't really the "community" (I'm not a member and couldn't go there) it was just the general resources page and whatnot. I have no idea how the community panned out. But there is an "about the characters" section and it has a little photo for each character. Dewey Dell is a basket, hearkening to her walkin the cotton rows with Lafe, Cash is a bucket, which makes us think of his carpentry skills, Jewel is a horse (duh) etc . . . and then Anse is a freaking pair of toy chattering false teeth. Who was in charge of that?

And PS: I'm totally in favor of the Oprah book club business. Say what you want about her, but even when she was assigning weepy contemporary women's fiction, she had excellent taste, from what I've read of her picks. Do I have some doubts as to whether or not Oprah's massive audience will "get" Faulkner, sure, but I suspect with the help of Oprah and a friendly professor they'll do okay. And even the hottest pair of sherbet orange capris is better with an open book in its lap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home