Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Do you find this happens all the time?

A couple months ago I meant to make a public prediction that 2006 would be the year of Sofia Coppola's comeuppance. I imagined it would go like this: The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation were just too slight for the amount of hype and praise being thrown at Ms. Coppola's feet; that she got where she got using the family name; that she surrounds herself with great craftsmen and they do all the heavy lifiting; that, whether based on an honest critical evaluation or not, Marie Antoinette is a giant piece of shit.

(To which I'd respond: [1] As if she has control over critical hyperbole; [2] But it's cool that, you know, Schwartzman rocked the family connection to find his way into Rushmore; [3] Right, just like how Kurt Cobain wrote those Hole records, because we know that girls can't get by on their own; [4] Ding ding ding. See, among others, Jeffery Wells's "review" from Cannes. To my fellow music nerds, doesn't this feel like an annoying extension of rockism?)

This is a long way of saying: my desire to see this movie will not die, especially when I see (purportedly) the finalized soundtrack. Just try to deny it:

1. Gang of Four - Natural's Not In It
2. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 17
3. Windsor for the Derby - The Melody of a Fallen Tree
4. The Radio Dept. - I Dont Like it Like This
5. Aphex Twin - Jynweythek Ylow
6. Jean-Philippe Rameau - 1er Menuet pour Les Guirries et les Amazones, 2eme Menuet
7. The Radio Dept. - Pulling Our Weight
8. Air - Il Secondo Giorno Instrumental
9. The Radio Dept. - Keen On Boys
10. Jean-Philippe Rameau - Aux Languets d'Appollon
11. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 23
12. Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy (Kevin Shields Remix)
13. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Hong Kong Garden
14. Bow Wow Wow - Aphrodisiac
15. Bow Wow Wow - Fools Rush In (Kevin Shields Remix)
16. The Cure - Plainsong
17. New Order - Ceremony
18. Squarepusher - Tommib Help Buss
19. Phoenix - Où Boivent Les Loups
20. Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier
21. Aphex Twin - Avril 14th
22. The Strokes - What Ever Happened?
23. Jean-Philippe Rameau - Tristes Apprêts, Pâles Flambeaux
24. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 36
25. The Cure - All Cats Are Grey

Observation One: No "Age of Consent"? After its appearance in that perfect trailer, it's a shame not to include it.

Observation Two: Greedily, I was hoping for a new Air track; alas, it's a piece from the band's odd novelty record City Reading.

7 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like "Hong Kong Garden" but I LOVE "Age of Consent." And sadly, Sofia Coppola is rapidly moving off of my "I Like Him/Her/It/Them" list and onto my "He/She/It/They Can Bite It" list. Any guesses as to who's number one on either?

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I will not tolerate the Sofia hateration.
(Although, yes, "Age of Consent" is so beyond excellent it hurts. Hurts. As for No. 1 on the "I Like Him/Her/It/Them" I'm going with Creme Brulée [the dessert]-- with Tim Gunn [TV personality/gadfly] coming in second. On the top of the "He/She/It/They Can Bite It" I'm going with Kiki Dunst [actress irrationally reviled by all who have XX chromosomes] followed by People who improperly use your/you're, its/it's, their/there/they're, etc. [self-explanatory])

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger John Barleycorn said...

What's with all the Bow Wow Wow? This woman obviously took too much drugs and now thinks she's big shit and can plop out whatever diarrhea she wants. Too bad even Virgin Suicides wasn't that great a movie, and Lost in Translation worked better when it was titled Lolita.

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good guesses, Ben, though you can put chocolate mousse one inch ahead of crème brûlée because I love it and it loves me.
And the K.Duh hating is not irrational. Have you looked at the girl?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Lolita? Que? Lost In Translation, as I recall, was about a fifty-something year old Man and the entirely platonic, wistful relationship he has with a twenty-something married woman.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I liked Brennon better back when he was called douchebag.

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was not a fan of Lost in Translation at all (And I'm sick of hearing that "I don't get it." I do and I don't like it!), but I, too, am inexplicably intrigued by Marie Antoinette. Maybe I want to see the clothes? I am a girl...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home