Thursday, June 29, 2006

Take my wife...

Two blurbs. Two writers clearly amused by their own cleverness. Two woefully subpar jokes. A battle to the death.

GO!:
  • David Edelstein, A Scanner Darkly: "It’s terribly frustrating when one’s Dick is at arm’s length."

  • Neil LaBute, Barry Lyndon: "Outside of perennial holiday fare like The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, or Salo, I think I've watched Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon more times than any other movie I can remember."

(In case you didn't know, Edelstein wins this round.)

3 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I laughed at Neil's answers in Variety last Thursday in the "Pushy Questions For.." column, especially when answering who he would like see doing the survey: "Werner Herzog (great filmmaker and a fascinating man); Oprah Winfrey (I feel like I don't really know her yet); Sirhan Sirhan (because he has the time on his hands); Emmanuelle Devos (stunning to watch onscreen, curious about in real life); Christo (I'd actually like to see him wrap this survey in thick plastic)."

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I do like the Christo comment. And, really, I've got nothing against LaBute (well, aside from the film version of The Shape of Things). Fun fact: in high school I worked in a Suncoast Video; Mr. LaBute frequented this Suncoast. He was always buying Atom Egoyan tapes I'd never heard of.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Listen -- that Salo comment was hilarious! Completely fucking brilliant. The world would be a better place if everyone watched Salo on Christmas Eve.

You have to admit it was more amusing that the people who blabber-blabbed about fucking Naruse movies for forty years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home