Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Morning roundup.

  • Bret Easton Ellis' first script got optioned. It's an adaptation of a novel by some other dude about an Ivy League grad toiling away at a publishing house, fucking up his relationship with his girlf. Uh huh. Right. OK, Bret, just focus on writing your own shit. I'd like to read another one of your books before I die.

  • The Polyphonic Spree's drummer landed on the FBI's ten most wanted list for, like, an hour last Thursday. When I saw the headline, I was hoping it would turn out that it was for something real, but it was all one big misunderstanding (y'know, the old "we mistook a microphone in his carry-on for a bomb" scenario). He did provide this amusing quote: "I don't want to over-dramatize the situation but there were two or three minutes when I thought I was going to be in Guantanamo Bay with the Abu Ghraib people holding a thumbs up while pointing to my penis. I wasn't really scared about Guantanamo, I just didn't want people to see my penis. I'm a very private person."

  • It's the Willenium, we're just living in it:
    The star of Bad Boys II and Wild Wild West had this to say: “Of course I could be president if I wanted to. But being president isn’t the kind of job you’d want to have with the way things are today.”
    (Link via La Wonk.)

  • Josh is still on vacation. Lame.

  • PL hates on the new Elliott track. Gee, didn't see that one coming.

    And to close:
  • A moment of zen from the always quotable Peabs:
    As fun as it was to dip my nutsack into the mouths of parentless Somalians, I knew that Peabs never wanted to relive such a moment. Why, you may ask? Because it was so fucking tigs the first time. How could it possibly be any better? It's kind of like doing your first line of blizz; every line afterwards will never compare.  

1 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Of the three tracks that I've heard from the album, "Fond Farewell" is my least favorite. That said, I still find it interesting and moving. And as for being disillusined by Elliott's death... well, that's you, man. I never sought out Elliott's music for some "mystique" or the romanticism of a "hovering threat" or for his self-loathing. I loved him because he was an incredibly talented musician, wrote insanely gorgeous melodies and was easily one of the best songwriters of his generation. Before I knew anything about Jon Brion, there was Elliott creating beautifully unpopular pop music.
When I listen to "Pretty (Ugly Before)," I hear one of the best songs of Elliott's career and an artist just hitting his stride. And that is what hurts the most. This guy had a lot more to say and more ground to cover.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home