Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Dribble.

  • A principal in Georgia is in a bunch of trouble for reading a poem called "The New School Prayer" over the school's intercom. I'm not so much offended by the content (I mean, can I really take this thing seriously?), but that this principal was passing off this crap as "poetry." I mean, look at this stanza:
    "We can get our condoms and birth controls,
    Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
    But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
    No word of God must reach this crowd."
    Yeesh. And I never knew that studying totem poles was so controversial.

  • Indie Spirit Award noms. Eh. Whatevs. Go Sideways.

  • NNNOOOOOO: L.A. County May Sandblast Disney Hall.

  • New batch of Criterion titles for Feb. A Godard, the double-disc My Own Private Idaho, Night and the City, a Bertolucci, and some other that I'd nevin heard of.

  • Get your gorgeously-art-directed-genocidal-fascist groove on: the Hero dvd drops today.

  • Catchdubs had a piece on misogyny in hip-hop yesterday and he linked to this early 90s article on the topic. What's impressive is how the author flips the argument and turns what is ostensibly an article about misogyny in rap into a screed against (in her opinion) the sexism and racism of Jane Campion's The Piano. It's some intense film-writing, yo.

  • Remember when I was harping on Gwennie about naming her damn album Love Angel Music Baby? Upon learning that Mariah Carey has named her new album The Emancipation of Mimi, I feel that I owe the Stefani an apology. Gwen: you no longer have the most retarded album title evs.

  • You know that when "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" is one of the finalists in AFI's "100 Years... 100 Quotes," things are pretty dire.

  • And that's that, mattress man.

2 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I wonder what bell hooks thought of Holy Smoke.My favorite line was this one: "I do not think that young black male rappers have been rushing in droves to see 'The Piano'"

Really? I heard it was Coolio's fave movie of the year.

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a good point. I found another dodge neon part site that goes into even more dodge neon partdetail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home