Friday, February 04, 2005

An open letter to Julie Taymor.

Dear Julie,

The news that you're going to direct All You Need Is Love (a story about "two star-crossed lovers in London in the 1960s [that] features 18 classic songs by the Beatles") makes it painfully clear that you are not the bad-ass I thought you were.
Titus, while troublesome in patches, was exciting and rich and sick and wonderfully over-the-top. I was convinced that your career was going to be a scorcher. Then came Frida... Yeah, Frida. Wherein you couldn't cut a single moment from the life of Frida Kahlo so you Reader Digested-fucking-everything into one long, dull Oxygen-network biopic. Bleh.
And now this. Julie, why not just make Mamma Mia!* or We Will Rock You into movies? Depressing, Julie. It's depressing.

Ben

*= I was going to hyperlink to the Mamma Mia! website, but it's super annoying and I just don't care. However, they have a list over every place that the show is playing. Do you realize that there are three different productions playing in South Africa? People sure love Abba ABBA.

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

I feel the same about Julie. When I saw the costume/puppets for the lion king I was like, wow, this lady managed to make the fucking lion king not suck a bloated sheep's asshole till it spews pus. And I like Titus. But I don't care of unibrows. I do like the beatles though. this is the worst comment ever. sorry.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Ben said...

No, Josh, that was the best comment EVAH. Or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home