Saturday, March 05, 2005

An ending (descent).

I won't waste your time or mine with a write-up of the painfully mediocre and derivative The Jacket, but I have to relay this anecdote.
As there's no opening credit sequence and I really didn't bother to pay much attention to the film before its release, I didn't know much about the cast or crew. About five minutes in, I started guessing who could be responsible for the wretched electro-blah score. Did they actually hire some electronic musician with little skill? Maybe Paul Oakenfold? Or was it a Hans Zimmer-type attempting to try something new? Either way, the bogus synth-washes and static-pulses were just killing me.
The culprit?
Brian Eno.
Brian Fucking Eno.
Brian "I invented ambient music" Eno.
Brian "Not only did I invent ambient music, I've made some of the greatest electronic albums ever" Eno.

It still hurts.

(And if you're thinking of going to The Jacket, save your money and watch Jacob's Ladder or Donnie Darko. Oh, but not that bullshit Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut nonsense, the original cut. Thank you. That's all.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home