Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Adventures in voting.

I hope everyone is having a pleasant Election Day and no one has been disenfranchised by the man. I almost was. Fer serious.
I arrived at my polling place and, as I had left my sample ballot at home, the volunteer in charge of the line wanted me to check in to make sure I was at the right place.
I spoke to the lady with the master list, gave her my name and my address. She thumbed through her list, paused, looked up at me and said: "I'm sorry, sir. You're not on the list, I'm afraid your polling location has changed."
As I always vote there and had received mail confirming the location, I wasn't buying it. "Are you positive I'm not on the list?"
She looked down at her list and then back up, "Yes, you're at the wrong location."
Then I looked down at her list and, upside-down and in four and half seconds, I found my name in the exact alphabetical place it was supposed to be.
"Um, I'm right there," I pointed out.
"Oh, sorry, this is your voting location," she offered.
And that was that. And it wasn't nefarious voter supression (obvs), just incompetence. I mean, yeah it's great that the old people get to do something for their country and volunteer to run the polls... but can you imagine the havoc that their craziness reaps? Yeesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home