Monday, December 13, 2004

Aquatic, round 2.



I was going to write a lengthy essay about my second go-round with Mr. Zissou, but it's... well, it's depressing and not really worth it. Guys, I hate to say it, but it's just not a very good movie. Even after the second viewing. (Sorry, Thighmaster.)
Sure, it's got some nice composition, a great Mothersbaugh electo-number, and a few chuckles. But it has no heart. The other three Wes movies work becuase, for all their quirky characters and bouts of whimsey, there's an anchor of humanism and empathy there. Not so with ze Zissou, where we get a solid two hours of masturbatory precociousness that's schtick-coma-inducing. I think what's most telling is that I'm not alone on this one. My friends are a group of Wes-fanatics and none of them liked the film and none of them will even remotely stick up for it.
Anyway, here's hoping for the best when Wes meets the Fantastic Mr. Fox in 2006.

2 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Ben, this is strike two. One more time and I might actually have to believe you that Wes made a bad movie. So, please, for the sake of all of us out there who treasure Rushmore so much, perhaps you could go easy on it the next time. Say you like the hats, or the shoes or where Bill Murray punches Owen in the face. SOMETHING!

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Ben,

Alas.
Trust me, Rushmore means a lot to me and Tenenbaums is, in my mind, one of the best films I've seen in the past decade.
Aquatic positives: I would kill for a pair of Zissou Addidas. Willem Dafoe is great. There are some nice magical touches with the boat. Mothersbaugh's main musical piece (that electro- groove thing from the trailer-- that they pipe into their scuba helmets), that rules. But, um.... This one will make you hold Rushmore and the other two that much closer.

Ben

 

Post a Comment

<< Home