Thursday, March 17, 2005

Quote of the day.


"I’m going to get a job. I’m broke. Right now, I couldn’t buy spats for a hummingbird. What did Johnny Carson say? You’re innocent until proven broke. Well, by the time Gerry and these troops got here, it was the bottom of the barrel. I was a rich man. I’m broke now. I got to go to work.
But before that, I’m going to go out and do a little cowboying. Do you know what that is? No, you don’t know what that is.
Cowboying is when you get in a motor home or a van or something like that, and you just let the air blow in your hair, and you wind up in some little bar in Arizona someplace, and you shoot one-handed nine ball with some 90-year-old Portuguese woman that beats the hell out of you.
And the next day, you wind up in a park someplace playing chess with somebody. You go see a high school play where they’re doing West Side Story. And you just roam around and get some revitalization, that there are human beings in the world, that there are people living their lives that have no agenda, that have no agenda.
I’ve been involved in a world where, you know, the mafia is saying the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Well, in this world that I’ve been in, it’s very much that way. People drift from one side to the other in five minutes, and you never know where you are, who’s on your side or who’s not on your side."

--Robert Blake, yesterday, outside the courthouse.

I would like to take this opportunity to reprint perhaps the best monologue from a film that Mr. Blake ever delivered. From 1997's OJ Simpson-inspired Lost Highway:
In the East, the Far East, when a person is sentenced to death, they're sent to a place where they can't escape, never knowing when an executioner will step up behind them and fire a bullet into the back of their head. It could be days, weeks, or even years after the death sentence has been prononunced. This uncertainty adds an exquisite element of torture to the sitution, don't you think? It's been a pleasure talking to you.

David Lynch gives me the heebie-jeebies. Well, Lynch material being delivered by Robert Blake in kabuki-makeup with shaved eyebrows.


1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dick Laurent is dead...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home