Friday, August 19, 2005

Notes from the margin.


Some miscellaneous Friday whatever:

  • A Sound of Thunder looks like it could be the best worst film of 2005. Just look at that trailer. Oh and realize: it wrapped on September 17, 2002 and stars Finbar McMullen with a Mandrill (get your mind out of the gutter, a Mandrill is that thing pictured above) and Renny Harlin was attached to direct it, but left due to artistic differences. I can't wait. (Thanks for the link, Morgan.)

  • Girish's film chats with his Mom are killing me.
    Part One: On Gandhi.
    Part Two: The auteur theory.

  • "Parting Gift" is not only one of the best songs from Fiona Apple's upcoming album, it's the most withering "fuck off, I'm over you" pop songs I've heard in a loooong time. I'd hate to be the guy on the receiving end of the line "it is by the grace of me / you never learned what I could see."

  • The video for LCD Soundsystem's "Tribulations" is full of Gondreyesque lo-fi goodness. (Via GreenCine Daily.)

  • Remember when Andy Dick did his Daphne Aguilera shtick? Don't these "hot" (please note the use of quotation marks around the word hot) pictures of Kathy Griffin remind you of Daphne?

  • There's something kinda smug about this video (not to mention there's mad Fatboy Slim residue all over it), but for a mediocre SoCal rock band, OK Go sure can dance. (Hat tip to The J.)

4 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger girish said...

Hey Ben, thanks for nudging me into seeing The Conformist. It was fucking brilliant! (not to mention gorgeously good-looking).
Hope to blog about it sometime.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

For some reason, the fact that you've just tried to pass off some kind of dinosaur with a not-ver-colorful monkey face off as a mandrill mad me laugh until I almost peed my panties.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten bucks says the mandrill eats Ben Kingsley.

And his shocking white hair, too.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Girish: I told you! (Looking forward to your thoughts.)

Joshua: I'm not making this up! That's their crazy Mandrill or ManDrill-- which is not at all like a Drilldo*.

Boris: Agreed. But the Mandrill has to be in 2055. Like he comes through the rip in time and is walking down the futuristic streets of Chicago and people are freaking out and then it sees Kingsley (and his shocking white hair) and eats him.


* As seen on HBO's hit series Cathouse**.

**Not that I'd know, 'cause I would never watch such filth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home