Friday, December 30, 2005

Just the facts.

  1. I'm back.

  2. Munich is now my favorite film of 2005. I'd also argue that it's Spielberg's best film since E.T. (Depending on your view of Spielberg that might mean a lot or nothing at all.) More on this topic when I have a second to gather my thoughts and write something cognizant.

  3. It's the end of the year and I still have not seen a film by Ozu, Fassbinder, or Tarkovsky. I have seen Fantastic Four. Sigh.

  4. Did I mention I loved nearly every shitty, grade-Z second of Fantastic Four? I mean, c'mon, how can you deny Jessica Alba making her grand entrance and being introduced as "This is Sue Storm, head of Genetic Research and Development"? So maybe loved is too strong a word... Strongly liked? I strongly liked nearly every shitty second of the movie? (Do you think less of me now that I've admitted this?)

  5. I wish I could write with this clarity.

  6. More later.

7 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Was that clarity thing sarcastic?

Oh, and your admission that you haven't seen Ozu but have seen FF reminds me of the time I dragged my roommates to see RAN at the Brattle. Neither had ever seen a Kurosawa film and one of them asked me what else Kurosawa had done. I said, "Oh, his new movie just came out. 'The Klumps.'" And he totally believed me for like an hour!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Fuck you, no it was not sarcastic. Dude, you ripped that shit up and were all quoting Freddy N. and stuff. I loved it.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger girish said...

1. Joshua's post was superb-o.
2. I have some real problems with Spielberg, but I wanna see Munich.
3. OK, you make me want to catch Fantastic Four too.
4. I just figured out the subtitle to your blog because I caught up with The Squid & The Whale: it blew me away. I love this film.
5. And here are some tips for pleasurable entry:
Fassbinder: Ali: Fear Eats The Soul.
Ozu: Tokyo Story.
Tarkovsky: Andrei Rublev.
But I'm sure you know that already.
And Ben, maybe you'll post some of your favorite music from 2005 so we can get some purchase ideas.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's better if you walk out of "Munich" after about 130 minutes. It just meanders and nothing happens and you just pray that SS never gets final cut again.

And as long as you are thinking about Fassbinder you might want to see "The Third Generation" (aka "Die Dritte Generation") as a companion piece to "Munich."

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I have my own Fassbinder reccomendation. "Chinese Roulette" -- not, maybe, his most famous work but it's a superb little chamber drama that makes even Bergman looked timid.

And thank you. I truly believe that Nietzsche can be quoted in any context.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Mmm--- lots and lots of suggestions. Thanks one and all.

G-- Full confession: I took a power nap during FF and am not sure if that contributed to my appreciation or what. And I'll work on an 05 Music post. (Glad you liked the Squid, I'm really fond of it.)

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Essay Writing Service said...

Dissertation is an important and difficult task for academic students. It is very rare that a student doing it alone. They need help from online services like dissertation writing service for completing their works. By the help of these services they can create a best work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home