Wednesday, January 11, 2006

There's always someone younger and hungrier coming down the stairs after you.

I was going to do one more Showgirls-related post before the proverbial lights of the Stardust go dim. It was going to be a compendium of the best Showgirls characters and their defining quotes... and then I saw Eric's post. How can you compete with that? Not only is it hilarious and super tech-savvy (the screen captures lead to mp3s!), it's thorough. I thought my coup de grace was going to be the inclusion of the little-discussed-but-personally-beloved Latina Personnel Woman (Irene Olga Lopez) and her supremely depressing interaction with Pol Nomi. It's clear to me that Eric misses nothing. (For the record, my definitive quote from that exchange was going to be Lopez's empathetic "Deceased?")

However, that doesn't mean that I can't still post my ghetto-ass screen-capture of my pick for the number one Showgirls quote:

Don't speak French? Head over to Eric's and listen to it for yourself. (He ranks it at Number 3.)

4 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Eric Henderson said...

Ne te fasse de passe! Brilliance!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Cullen Gallagher said...

I haven't seen Showgirls, but I just discovered your blog and love the diversity--and Malle's Elevator to the Gallows is one of my favorites!

Oh, and great blog title, too. Sciascia is one of my favorite writers, and I just read "The Wine Dark Sea" last month. (Or am I reading the reference wrong?)

-Cullen (Cinema Journal)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Thanks, Cullen.
The origin of my blog title goes like this: a couple years ago I was at a friends house, hungover, feeling blah. I picked up an old paperback copy of the Odyssey. In that translation all the references to the wine-dark sea were translated as "the wine-colored sea." So I stole that and used it. (I must profess my ignorance of Mr.Sciascia... Now I feel compelled to catch up.)

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Cullen Gallagher said...

The Odyssey! Geez, it's been too long since I last read that... it never even crossed my mind. Thanks for pointing out the reference that Sciascia was making!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home