Thursday, January 05, 2006

That or maybe you made a really boring movie.

"Fundamentally, Jarhead disobeys all the laws of American movies, and not just the political laws of American movies right now which demand on some level to tell us which side they're on. In Europe, there's a sense this film comes from the tradition of absurdist war movies about the futility of conflict. It has more in common with BECKETT, SARTRE and BANUEL [sic*] than it does with OLIVER STONE. In America, they assumed I was trying to make an Oliver Stone movie and that I'd failed."

--Sam Mendes. (Link via goldenfiddle.)

I'm really hoping that steaming pile of bullshit is one of those entirely fabricated entertainment stories being peddled by the British tabs (a la Boogie Nights 2: Rollergirl Returns!). I know Sam Mendes is a douche-- but that big of one? Is he really trying to equate "Welcome to the Suck" to Godot? Nice try but no. Krapp?** Maybe.

*Unless he's referring to an unknown absurdist/avant garde author named Banuel, I'm guessing he was name-dropping Buñuel and the writer botched it.
**Zing!

7 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I read that twice and I'm not sure exactly what Mendes is talking about.

Then again, I never saw Jarhead.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Daniel Silliman said...

Either I get his point, and totally don't understand the references, or get his references and totally don't understand his point.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

I can't think of three worse influences that Beckett, Sartre and Bunuel. Unless it was Antonioni, Truffaut and Fellini.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Josh dropping a carpet-bomb again. Could you start hating on Dylan and Nina Simone and make it complete?

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Thank you, Dash. My day is complete.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

I like Nina Simone and cutting Dash's nuts off with rusty scissors.

As for Dylan, I'm feeling a little generous. After all, if push came to shove and I had to choose between Dylan's "music" and the entire output of the nouvelle vague I might just pick Dylan. Or, suicide.

 
At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh jeez. this is lovely. BANUEL!

thank you for making my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home